Tuesday 25 February 2014

Date with Granma

I went out with Granma today in hopes of cheering her up thinking we can maybe have a jyoshikai somewhere over some pretty cake, but it ended up being "Go where Granma's been out on a date with late Granpa" trip, and might I mention how surprisingly happy this made granma!

We ended up staying out till past 20h, something unimaginable for Granma when Granpa was still alive being taken care of at home by Granma. This might just be the only positive thing about his passing.

It was a very emotionally busy dinner for Granma at Granpa's favorite restaurant. She ordered her favorite for herself, and got me Granpa's favorite so we can swap some to taste eachothers', just like how they used to do. She smiled, cried, laughed, sobbed and laughed some more.

I really like listening to Granma talk about her days with Granpa. By now I've heard of all of it at least ten times if not more, but I love watching her eyes grow with happiness every time. Listening to her makes me realize how bad memories will eventually find its way to become a comedy, property of the then-silly me, or they become a sensei of life and you would have lesson learnt owing to the experience.

Her and I are quite the opposite but we have some shared love for gardening and for kimono. We promised to visit my favorite tofu restaurant soon and I might then wear a kimono. There are quite a lot of kimonos that Granma's daughterless siblings have passed on to us, and I enjoy wearing them sometimes but I usually don't go out in them.

Kimono is quite a costly hobby to frequent. I need to find a professional launder who can clean my kimonos for something affordable to me. I've heard of coin-laundry where you get to dry clean your own clothes, and that you could put kimonos in the machine at your own risk. Would you risk it? I can't quite decide. I won't be wearing them much at all if they costed me 30-50 euros to wash each time, but when I think about how much it would be if I had to buy the fabric new, have them pre shrunk and then made according to my size, I would hate to risk it too.

I know that you're really only supposed to wash the inner kimono every time you wear it and the outer layer of the kimono is not supposed to be washed after each wear unless it was a summer kimono, but I guess I'm a bit fussy like that. I'm the only person I know that washes jeans after each wear too. My excuse is that because I have atopic dermatitis and always wear tons of mositurizer, it just feels icky for me to wear same clothes twice or sleep on same sheets for days.

Speaking of eczema R, I wish you could see my skin now that I'm back in Japan, it's so much better I wonder if it's the hard water over there. It could also be that maybe I'm just better living with Japanese food.

I love Granma's food. Both Granmas and also my mom are all an amazing cook. Losing Granpa makes me realize how they really are that old and how I could lose another family any day. I guess it's time I learnt their secret recipes, a kitchen date :)


H





No comments:

Post a Comment