Wednesday 26 February 2014

Sanrio

Do you know Sanrio? I don't think many people would, but I think most of girls know Hello Kitty. If Mickey Mouse made Disney success, Hello Kitty did the same for Sanrio.

I visited Gift Gate which is a Sanrio shop selling items with their characters, kinda like their version of Disney Store.

One thing that surprised me is that they also sell Peanuts items now like Snoopy clothing. Since when are you a part of Sanrio, Woodstock? They fit right in though.

I was so SO happy to see some Keroppi items. I was a huge Keroppi fan as a kid. Whatever that came out new, I had to have it! I wonder what happened to all the Keroppi erasers and pens I collected. I remember where some of it went.

When Japan had a huge earthquake when I was still in primary school, our school asked pupils to donate stationary goods for the schools in the disaster zone.

My mom took my sister and I to a Sanrio shop, and we bought 100 pencils each. Sanrio shops used to sell pencils individually, each with some kind of charm like flower shaped eraser on top, a fruit dangling etc. They were really cute! We usually only got those for birthdays or Christmas, but I guess mom decided to send something a little extra cheerful.

Mom also bought packets of pencil caps, and that night it took us a very long time to sharpen each one manually and to put a cap.

Oh the disappointment next day when my teacher told me that they can not send what isn't new so that they will be used at the school in the office.

I mean, wtf, they're not used, I just sharpened them because they probably won't have a sharpener at the disaster zone. Besides, if they could not be sent, why didn't I get to just bring them back home?

But I guess that in Japan if sending already sharpened pencil is rude, to send the donation back is considered rude as well. I so did not need that politeness.

I would also like to take this chance to mention how we all know that rescue teams from all over the world came for help, how grateful we all still are, and how Switzerland, despite being one of the furthest nation, was the first to arrive. Thank you all so much for that!!

When Japan recently had the big earthquake, I first found out about it from the many messages that I received from friends on facebook(感謝!).

I immediately tried calling Japan, but the phone didn't go through, and in desperation I posted my JP number on facebook asking someone to try calling. After about 10 minutes, I got two messages, one from India and another from the US telling me that they spoke with my family and that everyone is alright.

I will never forget their kindness from that day. I really appreciate all the messages too. I felt blessed!

So back to the topic, there is one big Keroppi cushion that I'm dreaming to have sitting on my pillow every day waiting for me to come home free of all the stress, but I have no income at the moment and I do feel a bit too old to drag mom there and beg till she bends and I get something pretty and unnecessary.

It's great when I actually like what mom likes, because it will be an effortless process. In reality, I often have to beg mom to NOT get me what she likes because I don't want pink Disney Princess lunchbox, for example.

I wish I was a kid again. No I don't.  

H



No comments:

Post a Comment