Thursday 13 March 2014

Visitors

Granpa has visitors today. It's good for granma to have contact with the outside world again.

I had heard that when granma's father died, there were so many people noone else in the family knew about bringing kouden which is a little money to help with the funeral and possibly hospital related expenses. It's different for our granpa though, as he has visited funerals of all his friends, and the last few still ongoing are being taken care of at home or are in hospice. And still, we  have surprising amount of flowers being sent for granpa from the many places he has lived, and it still keeps on coming even after two months after his passing. It's great that the words are taking time to spread, as if they all came at once, our house will have no place for humans.

I miss him sometimes, especially around 2-3am when no one else is awake. I would miss him all the time if I actually felt like he is gone, but at the moment, even after 2 months, I don't feel like it. 2-3am, It's when the nocturnal creatures like granpa and myself had a midnight feast over some ginger tea and sweets. Where he will tell me bit and pieces of his days as a prisoner of war in Sobiet. About the family he lost. Something he has never talked about in daylight. In fact, after his passing, granma mentioned how I used to always spend a lot of times with granpa, and when I mentioned what we would talk about, I discovered that neither my mom, his daughter, or granma, his wife, has heard of him speak about the war.

Granpa and I got along very, very well. Granma used to laugh that the speed of time is slower around us. And that maybe we were descendants of owls. We used to have a mission of going to the supermarket that we have never been to, and getting something we haven't tried. Sometimes we would get some weird creature of the sea and wait impatiently for granma to come home from work to ask her to cook it for us. She hated that, but we were a little more curious than we were nice.

I wish he got to meet you, R.

H



No comments:

Post a Comment